Providing Treatment for:
Adults, adolescents and children including, family, individual, and couple’s issues.
- Grief and Loss
- Family conflict
- Trauma & Abuse
- School performance including ADHD and Aspergers Syndrome
- IEP consultation
- Parenting strategies
- Behavioral problems
- Self mutilation and cutting
- Social adjustment
- Separation and Divorce
- Relationship Issues
- Marital Issues
- Dysfunctional Family Issues
- Anger management
- Teaching coping strategies
- Stage of Life Transitions
We also all have extensive experience around and make ourselves available for speaking engagements and workshops for a variety of audiences.
In individual therapy, we strive to provide a supportive environment where you are "listened to" and heard; one in which it is safe to explore openly and honestly, your most personal, feelings, needs and dilemmas.
We will talk about anything and everything that is important to you in order to clarify your emotions, your thoughts and your needs as well as your strengths and your vulnerabilities. Our goal is to help you to make positive changes in your life so that you feel better and find more satisfaction and fulfillment.
- Do you often feel that you are not good enough? Does anxiety or perfectionism make your life difficult? Are you much more forgiving of your friends than of yourself?
- Are you living with too much stress and anxiety?
- Are you feeling down and hopeless and wondering how you will ever feel better?
- Are you going through a difficult transition in your life (divorce, death in the family, retirement, illness etc)? Are you are feeling overwhelmed?
- Have you recently lost someone or something that is important to you?
- Do you feel that you are not where you had hoped to be at this stage of your life?
- Are you confused or concerned about your sexual orientation?
How Does Individual Therapy Help?
- Therapy can help you learn to be as generous and kind to yourself as you are to the others around you- to be a true friend to yourself.
- Therapy can help you to understand your sad feelings and surmount them. It can help you develop ways to prevent your mood from dominating your life.
- Crisis is painful but it is also an opportunity for growth and positive changes. Therapy can offer you support during this period and help you take advantage of the transition to achieve a higher level of functioning and fulfillment.
- Therapy can help you to understand and come to terms with difficult experiences from your past.
- Therapy can help you to be more able to meet the challenges that come your way - a benefit that lasts long after our sessions end.
Marriage Counseling and Couples Therapy
The difficulties you are having may be recent or longstanding. You may be married, living together or contemplating either of these. Whether you are a heterosexual couple or a same sex couple, we can help both of you clarify the feelings that are behind the issues that hinder and enhance your life together.
- Has it become more and more difficult to talk with each other without it turning into a major argument?
- Do you feel that you are living "parallel lives" or that you are just "going through the motions"?
- Is there a painful distance between you?
- Is one of you is putting much more into the relationship than the other?
- Has one of you had an affair and you are not sure that you can or even want to get past this as a couple?
- We help you explore how each of you experiences the relationship and how that affects the way you interact with one another. Any area of your life that concerns you is appropriate for discussion. Common ones are intimacy, conflicts around money or around division of labour, parenting, relationships with extended families, as well as trust issues and infidelity, both current and past.
How Does Couple Therapy Help?
- It can help you to talk to one another in a way that will increase the likelihood that what you have to say will be "heard".
- It can help you talk about the most important (and often most difficult) issues without getting bogged down in arguments and dead ends.
- It can help you repair those moments in the relationship when you've said or done things that you wish you could take back.
- It can help you understand one another better so that you can feel safer, closer and more loving in your relationship.
In family therapy we provide a forum in which everyone is offered the opportunity to express their thoughts and feelings respectfully and safely.
- Are you finding parenting a challenge?
- Do you and your spouse disagree about how to raise the children?
- Are you a single parent and finding it difficult to do it all alone?
- Is one or more of your children presenting difficult behavior?
- Are you divorced or separated and finding co parenting with your previous spouse is not going smoothly?
- Are your children reacting to the divorce or to the loss of a parent?
- Are you trying to blend two families and finding that it is harder than you expected?
- Our guiding principle is to enhance the connections between all family members and, at the same time, to encourage age appropriate responsibility and individuation. We strive to work with each family in a way that respects their own history, values and culture. In this regard, you and your family are our best teachers.
How Does Family Therapy Help?
- You can become clearer about boundaries between parents, children and extended families.
- You can clarify and either confirm or renegotiate roles and responsibilities in the family.
- You can learn what lies behind children’s difficult behaviors
- You can learn what lies behind your most intense reactions to family members and their behaviors.
- You can learn how to help your children both behave better and feel better.
- You can start to enjoy family life again.